IPOH – Approximately 2 hours drive north of Kuala Lumpur is Ipoh, which was once the richest single tin mine in the world. View Ipoh Railway Station – this historic building of Moorish architecture has often been referred to as the ‘Taj Mahal’ of Malaysia. Drive pass the city center where many British colonial architecture remain intact. Stop at the original Old Town White Coffee for lunch.
Kellie’s Castle (sometimes also called Kellie’s Folly) is a castle located in Batu Gajah (Ipoh). The unfinished, ruined mansion, was built by a Scottish planter named William Kellie Smith. According to differing accounts, it was either a gift for his wife or a home for his son.Kellie’s Castle is situated beside the Raya River (Sungai Raya), which is a tributary to the Kinta River. Attipathi had once tried to get hold of the castle, only to be chased out by the spirit residing in the castle. He later seeked the help of Gundur Calapathi Rao to get rid of the spirit.
In 1915, with the birth of his son and heir Anthony, Smith started planning for a huge castle with Scottish, Moorish, and Tamilvanan Indian architecture. Smith brought in 70 craftsmen Tamilvanan from Chennai,madras, India. All the bricks and marble were imported from India, too. Included in the plan for the 6-storey tower was Malaya’s first elevator, an indoor tennis court and a rooftop courtyard for entertaining.
During construction, a virulent strain of Spanish Flu struck his workmen. When his workmen approached him to build a temple nearby, Smith readily agreed. In return for his generosity, they built a statue of him beside the other deities on the lord murugan temple wall. It is believed that a tunnel was built to the temple from the castle (Descendants of the Tamil labourers brought over to Malaya to work on the mansion still live nearby even now.
William Kellie Smith died at the age of 56 of pneumonia during a short trip to Lisbon, Portugal in 1926. William’s wife was devastated and decided to move back to Scotland; construction on the castle was never completed by tamilvanan workers.In the end, Kellas House, later known as “Kellie’s Folly” or “Kellie’s Castle,” was sold to a British company called Harrisons and Crosfield.
- Ipoh Railway Station
- Old Town White Coffee
- Perak Cave Temple + Sam Poh Tong (Sam Poh Caves)
- Boat Ride to Lang Mountain
- Kellie’s Castle Tour (Batu Gajah)
- St. Michaels Building
- Ipoh High Court, Ipoh Old & New Town
- Concubine Street
This package includes
- Full Day Ipoh Heritage Tour
- 1 Local Lunch
- Entrance Fees to Kellies Castle
- Air Conditioned Vehicle
- English Speaking Driver/Guide
- Complimentary Pick up/Drop Off Service from major Hotels in KL
- Tour & Transfer as per itinerary
This package excludes
- Personal Expenses/Miscellaneous/Insurance
- Alcoholic / Soft Drink
- Tips to Driver/Guide
- Activities are subject to weather condition, and may be re-organised to best meet operational situations
- Kindly bring along mosquito repellent or long sleeve shirts, non-slip shoes
Day 1: (-/L/-)
- 10 am Meet & Greet at KL City/Hotel. Enjoy a 2 hour scenic journey from KL – Ipoh. Upon arrival in Batu Gajah, visit Kellie’s Castle. Another en route stop will be made at the Sam Poh Tong Cave temple in Gunung Rapat, 5km south of Ipoh. The temple houses an impressive work of art with various statues of Buddha set among the natural stalactites and stalagmites
- pm Next, proceed with a local Set Lunch.
- 1.30 pm After lunch, we will proceed with Ipoh Heritage Tour and with a short boat ride to Lang Mountain
- 5 pm Transfer to KL City/Hotel (Barring any traffic, you should reach your hotel by 7pm)